My Progress

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 2... or so...

We started this whole thing 9 days ago but it took a couple of days to eat the leftovers in the fridge and get rid of a few things and then I had my trip south and so I am starting the count from the day I started the blog.  I've got to go out tomorrow and buy me a scale that can handle my 350+ pounds.  Most home scales top out at 325 and sort of quit working or explode when I step on them!  So I've got to find one rated for 375 or 400 pounds so I can keep track.  Until then I'm listing my self as around 370 because I was about 360 a year ago when they measured me at the clinic.

Not much to report.  I wasn't feeling well, as I didn't sleep until about 4 in the morning after not sleeping since Friday at 2 PM, so according to Mom I didn't wake up when she shook me to get up and I slept until 3 PM.  So I had a green drink for late lunch, a banana (110 Cal)for a snack, Some diet Lemon Jell-O (2 Cal?) for a snack, a vanilla Ensure (250 Cal) for supper, and an apple (75 Cal) for a snack... oh, and a handful of black grapes (120 Cal), for a total caloric intake of 557 calories without counting the green drink.  When we were down south staying at my aunt's, she and my uncle make up what they call a "green drink" and they throw an oranges (with the peel on), a banana, maybe some more fruit, a cup of water, maybe some yogurt, some celery, a couple of baby carrots, some baby spinach, baby bok choy, some dark green lettuce like romaine, or spring mix (sometimes called European mix) that has stuff like arugula in it, a stalk of celery and a broccoli flowerette.  You blend it up into a liquid state and just drink a large glass of it instead of having an Ensure.  We have a crappy blender so one of these days I have to replace it with something that works better but if you can afford it I would recommend a Vita-Mix blender, they are fantastic, we had one (my wife still does) but they can blend anything.  I actually made potato soup in it one day; the blades spin so fast that you can boil water within 5 minutes.  But it does great at blending all the veggies and makes the fiber more accessible, problem is its about $550.  Ouch!  But if you can afford it, I would say its worth it, you can grind wheat for flour, make low-fat ice cream (it's just fruit, ice and a little tiny bit of milk), smoothies, cook soup in it, it's amazing!  Anyway we added all that stuff but Mom added a small head of broccoli instead of one flowerette and it was way too thick, like a smoothie, and tasted off.  I'm not sure what else she put in there so I'm guessing on amounts but it adds up to about 302 calories and it made about 3 or 4 tall glasses worth.  So I'm going to err on the conservative side and just put 250 calories, same as the drink replacements even though they are probably around 110 calories or so unless you add protein powder (which we have and I'm not sure she didn't add).

2 comments:

Barb Tolley said...

So Mark and I have started swimming for about 15 min every day and I am loving it. Grant lost 25 pounds by swimming everyday and watching hwo much he eats so that is what we are trying to do also. Mark and I also are trying to stay off snacks that are not healthy but one day a month we get to splurge. Our coming up day for this is May 11 as that is our anniversary. So hopefully we will be losing weight as well and it is a journey we will all do together.

Unknown said...

Sounds good, Barb. Mom and I also bought passes to the city pools so we can head down first thing in the morning for lane swim and I can use the weight room there as well. Hard to get up sometimes though...